By Samantha Polkinghorne 24 Feb 2022
Over a number of years, NBRS Heritage have assisted with the adaptive re-use of the former Lidcombe Hospital site.
The site comprises of a dining hall and four cottages, all erected in 1886 when the property was envisaged as a Boy’s Reformatory. However, the Reformatory was abandoned and in 1893 both the original dining hall as well as the neighbouring cottage building to the east were used as mess rooms by inmates of the Rookwood Asylum. Specialist surgical departments were established at the Rookwood asylum between 1911-1913. By 1913, the Rookwood Asylum had become known as the Rookwood State Hospital (later renamed the Lidcombe State Hospital).
Since this time, a number of alterations and additions have occurred to the site. In the year 2000, the former Lidcombe Hospital site was used as part of the media village during the Sydney Olympic Games.
NBRS Heritage have been assisting with the adaptive-reuse of the site for commercial use, including a supermarket, café, childcare centre, and retail spaces. Through preparation of documents such as Heritage Impact Statements, a Specific Element Conservation Policy, a Conservation Works Schedule and Maintenance Plan, they have ensured significant features of the place are retained and conserved.